New Search


There is a statutory requirement for Landlords to ensure all electrical appliances and fittings within a property are safe  and in good working order for the tenants. The Electrical Equipment safety regulations 2016  state that if any item was purchased on or before the 08/12/16 and has a voltage range of between 50 and a 1000V on alternating current and between 75 and 1500V on direct must bare a CE mark and be inspected by landlord and agent to make sure it is safe with accompany instruction booklets . It can then be listed on the inventory . The law is less explicit than the gas regulations,  however there are a number of regulations, as well as Landlord’s common law duty of care, that require the electrical equipment to be safe and in good working order, both at the start of a tenancy and for the entire duration of the tenancy.


Carbon monoxide and smoke alarms 

Landlords must fit a smoke alarm on every storey and a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm in every room with a solid fuel burning appliance. Alarms must be tested and working on the start of each tenancy.


Prescribed information

Prescribed information is a statutory document issued to the tenant covering the deposit protection scheme, instructions on raising disputes at the end of the tenancy and key contact information.

Prescribed Information will be served on the tenant and on any relevant person within the period of 30 days from and including the date we receive a deposit in relation to the assured Shorthold tenancy.

A “relevant person” is a person, company or organisation who, in accordance with arrangements made with the tenant, paid the deposit on behalf of the tenant eg. Local authority, employer, parent or guarantor.

Prescribed Information will be served each time there is a new AST – even if the deposit is simply held at the renewal stage and no money changes hands at that point.

The Prescribed Information will be re-served within 30 days of any renewed tenancy or statutory periodic tenancy arising.

Failure to serve the Prescribed Information within the correct timescale would be a breach of the Housing Act 2004.

The Prescribed Information will be served as a stand-alone document.

The Prescribed Information includes the scheme leaflet 'What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme?'


Soft furnishings

Furniture supplied in rental accommodation must comply with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended).  All furniture you supply must carry an appropriate permanent label to confirm it complies.  If an item of furniture does not meet this criteria it must be removed from the property prior to the tenancy starting as it may pose a fire risk.

 The regulations apply to:

  • Arm chairs, three piece suites, sofas, sofa beds, futons and other convertible furniture.

  • Beds, Bed bases and headboards, mattresses, divans and pillows.

  • Garden furniture which could be used indoors

  • Loose, stretch and fitted covers for furniture, scatter cushions, seat pads and pillows. 



Since 2008 all landlords must have a valid EPC for their property available for any applicant or tenant viewing a property. A copy is given to the tenant prior to signing the tenancy agreement and at the point of tenancy renewal.

The certificate is valid for 10 years. It scores a property on energy efficiency from ‘A’ (most efficient) to ‘G’ (least efficient).

For a rental property to be marketed it must have a minimum energy performance rating of E. The minimum efficiency regulations came into force for new tenancies and renewals of tenancies on 1st April 2018 and it will come in to place for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It is unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption.


Immigration act 2014

The new immigration Act 2014 states that a Landlord (or agent) must ensure a person has a 'right to rent' in the UK before commencing with a tenancy. A person will have a 'right to rent' if they are in the UK legally, according to immigration laws and documents, normally a passport, must be checked to confirm a person's status in the UK before a let is agreed.


Legionnaires disease

Landlords (and letting agents) are required by law to minimise a tenants risk of contracting legionnaire's disease. The legionella bacteria can be found in water systems where the temperature of the water is favourable to encourage the growth of the bacteria, such as in a hot (and cold) water systems. The risk to a tenant living in privately rented property is extremely small, however landlords must control the risk by carrying out risk assessments and taking action if deemed necessary, to ensure the tenants safety


Gas safety

As a landlord you have a statutory responsibility for the following items in connection to the gas supply/ installations at the property:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.

  • Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.


    All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.


    If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipe work but not for the actual appliance.



    From January 2013 Gas Safety inspections must include visual inspections of gas flues every 1.5 metres or at bends in the flue. To comply, hatches will have to be fitted to enable the engineer to inspect.

    A gas flue is the flue/pipe which takes the waste from a gas boiler to the outside. If the flue has a break in it or your boiler is not operating correctly, carbon monoxide could enter the property.

    If the engineer cannot access the flue it will fail the gas safety inspection.

    You do not have a flue if the boiler is fitted to an external wall and directly vented out to the outside. You would be able to see a vent on the outside of the building.

Affiliated With
Save search for e-mail alerts?
Please choose " Yes " if you would like to receive email alerts when properties matching your search criteria become available on our website.
to Top
IE8 Alert! Cookie Alert!

To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a modern web browser. More info